Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Greetings!

Hi there,

Welcome to my blog, "Cordial Etiquette*: How to be a Civilized Human Being."

cordial: (adj.) courteous and gracious; friendly; warm
etiquette: (n.) customary code of behavior within a particular group

*cordial etiquette: standards on how to be a civilized human being

Being a toll collector in Boston, I face so many crazy 10-second encounters. The customers can be extremely happy to see me when I give them directions after they've been lost for hours, or extremely irate for having to pay their third toll by the time they've entered Boston. Either way, I want to share interesting experiences with you that show people who know cordial etiquette and those who clearly do not.

Although most of my posts will probably be based upon my daily encounters that come through my tiny toll booth, I will also write about details of my life. This includes my roller-coaster relationship with my mother, adventures at the bar or club with my friends, and any other interesting etiquette I experience at certain places.

After all, cordial etiquette ought to be practiced in our daily routine!

9 comments:

  1. This sounds great! Most of my encounters at the toll booth have been with the hardened employees who have closed themselves to the human connection while on the job. It's nice to hear you haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that the definition, "courteous and gracious; friendly; warm" is pretty much the opposite characterization of Boston in the eyes of the rest of the country. I'm very much looking forward to your tales from the tolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell I am going to love this blog already! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences! It would be interesting if you wrote a creative post from the eyes of a particularly interesting or irate person you encounter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you're going to have some crazy stories about working at the toll and it sounds like you and I will be sharing similar stories dealing with roller coaster like relationships with parents. I'm excited to see what you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm... I think I commented on this already, but if not, here we go: I love how you started your blog with a definition- I can't imagine what that has to do with interacting with people at a toll booth. I'm looking forward to reading your blog, but I'm a little worried that I'm going to find a description of my father's many negative experiences with the poor people at a toll booth just trying to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine I would love to hear more crazy stories about your life as a toll collector! Post some stories, I am sure we would all love a good laugh about your 10 second encounters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you have plenty of crazy stories! I'm looking forward to them! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to reading about your crazy toll tales. An angry Bostonian always leads to an entertaining story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. First off, I really like the title. I think it's perfect for your job.

    Second, I like the idea of the stories about multiple 10 second encounters with strangers. I'm sure you have various crazy tales you could share. Really has me interested.

    I feel like this could make a pretty cool book as well.

    ReplyDelete